It’s elderflower season and we have been enjoying our homemade cordial so much I thought I would share with you my Auntie’s traditional Danish recipe. She kindly took some photos for me from her summer house on a little island called Orø where she makes her Hyldebærsaft every year.
40 Bunches of Elderflowers
2 Lemons, sliced
2kg White Sugar or 500g Brown Sugar + 1kg White Sugar
40g Citric Acid
2 lts Boiling Water
” Elderflower Cordial:
- The biggest stalks are cut off and the bunches are put in a big pot.
- Two litres of boiling water poured over.
- Citric-acid, lemon slices and sugar are added. (You can melt the sugar in the water before adding).
- Cover with a lid or plate and let it cool.
- Place in the refrigerator for 3 days.
- Strain off and pour into clean bottles.
You can also pour the liquid into bags and put in the freezer. I sometimes add Atamon to prevent from moulding.
Hugs, Ida ”